An Olympic weight bench is designed to hold a standard 7-foot barbell which is what is used by olympians and top athletes all around the world.
This makes olympic benches a fantastic piece of equipment for strength training or bodybuilding from the comfort of your own home. Giving you the opportunity to train with the same high equipment standards as you’d get in commercial gyms.
In this detailed buyers guide we will be going through some of the best olympic benches on the market. We’ve created a selection of top picks for people of all needs and budgets. Check it out!
Our Top Picks – Olympic Weight Benches
Marcy Diamond MD-857
Dimensions: 60.5″ x 80″ x 47″, Weight Capacity: 600lbs
The Marcy Diamond MD-857 is one of our picks because of it’s fantastic construction and quality of materials.
Constructed from just steel, foam, and vinyl this bench has focused on keeping things classic.
It utilizes a seat sliding track to allow you to adjust the positioning of the bench itself for proper alignment. The back pad can also be adjusted to the classic flat, incline, and decline positions.
The cool extra features of this bench are the preacher curl attachment, squat bar catch, and weight storage posts.
With over 500 reviews on Amazon, this bench is our pick for the best heavy-duty olympic weight bench on the market.
- PREMIUM STEEL CONSTRUCTION – Constructed from rugged, foam, and vinyl to provide sturdy exercise gear for long usage, the surge bench is safe and comfortable. The construction is compact and stabilized to provide optimal support for daily workouts!
- DUAL-FUNCTION LEG DEVELOPER – Dual-features include a pivot point that aligns with the knee joints and a locking mechanism for abdominal exercise, this unit facilitates proper body posture and allows for maximum effect on the targeted muscle groups.
- SEAT SLIDING TRACK – This exercise equipment boasts an adjustable seat and back pad with a slide track to conform to proper lifting positions. It allows you to achieve the enhanced benefits of an intense workout performed with precise body alignment.
- WEIGHT PLATE STORAGE POSTS – This complete system features an innovative structure that combines weight plate storage posts and Olympic sleeves. This multifunctional training gear allows you to easily store your two weight plates.
- VERSATILE FITNESS EQUIPMENT – Designed for full-body training at home, this surge bench can be utilized to target multiple muscle groups. It allows you to perform a wide array of strength-training exercises that focus on the arms, legs, chest, and core.
Gold’s Gym XR 10.1 Olympic Weight Bench
Dimensions: 47.6″ x 18.2″ x 8.6″, Weight Capacity: 400lbs
This bench comes with your typical incline, decline, and flat positions that most people have come to expect of modern olympic benches.
One of the smaller options on the market, it’s not the sturdiest feeling, but holds a surprising amount of weight when you put it through its paces.
The main limiting factor is the weight crutch, it’s adjustable and because of this, it’s not welded in.
The adjustable crutches can be useful though, especially for those with longer or shorter arms, it just makes for a more comfortable lift-off position.
This bench has relatively few features, with just a single 6-roll leg developer and a small area for weight storage.
It gets our vote as the top olympic weight bench for those on a budget.
- Olympic Width, Adjustable Bench; Able to be set at a flat, incline or decline position, adjustable seat keeps you comfortable
- 6-Roll Leg Developer; Build and develop your quads, hamstrings, glutes and hip-flexors with this 6-roll leg developer
- Adjustable Weight Crutch; Because everyone is different, this weight crutch is adjustable-allowing for more customized training and better results
- Learn which exercises focus on what muscle groups and how to perform each exercise most effectively with this step-by-step exercise chart
- Weight Storage; For maximum convenience, this bench includes weight storage
Phoenix Pro Olympic Bench
Dimensions: 88 x 83 x 60, Weight Capacity: 300lbs
Crafted with 3-inch steel this bench looks heavy-duty and is very ‘aesthetic’, which is a big part of how it has made it into the upper echelons of regularly recommended benches.
It’s becoming a little more difficult to purchase nowadays as Phoenix (manufacturer) isn’t as big as they used to be with all the new brands that have popped up over the last decade.
However, out of all the olympic benches under $500, this one still has the most bells and whistles.
With an adjustable backrest, a leg extension, lat pulley tower, and preacher attachment it gives you a little of a lot. In all this is the best all-round olympic weight bench and perhaps the best for beginners as well.
If versatility is what is important to you then I would recommend it, however, if you’re just looking for something that can handle a lot of weight I’d still recommend the Marcy MD-857.
Buyers Guide: Important Feature Considerations
Buying a top quality olympic weight bench can be difficult which is why we’ve eliminated it down to the 3 best options on the market for people with different requirements.
However, it’s still important to know what some of the most important things to look out for are when shopping around. So beyond the obvious things such as making sure the warranty and reviews are all good, what should you be looking out for?
Does the bench contain extra features? Are they the features that you want? If not how does this affect the cost? These are things worth thinking about. The most commonly requested feature is an FID option. This means that the bench is adjustable to the positions of ‘flat’, ‘incline’, and ‘decline’.
Also known as weight hold, most good benches will tell you how much the total amount of weight they can hold. In most cases, you need to add your body weight and the maximum weight you’re going to be lifting together. If the bench can hold this much weight then it’s safe to use.
What materials does the bench use? Is the padding of a good level and quality? Is it made from premium-grade steel? This can all affect how comfortable and safe the bench is to use. It will also affect the total longevity of the bench. We use this saying a lot on the site, if you buy cheap you buy twice.
The Final Rep
Finding and buying the right olympic bench for you can sometimes be a difficult proposition with the wide selection of benches available on the market today.
With the right amount of information about the right things it can make it a lot easier which is what we hope we’ve helped you with today.