Want to get some solid cardio at home? Then indoor cycling might be for you.
Indoor cycling is all about freedom, and exercise bikes are a piece of equipment that will allow you to do that from the comfort of your own garage gym or even your living room.
In this review article, we’ll be looking at some of the top indoor bikes that money can buy in order to help you find the best indoor exercise bike for your needs.
Each of these bikes offers its own unique take on the stationary bike idiom. So come along for the ride and find out everything you need to know about the best indoor cycling bikes on the market today.
Best Indoor Cycling Bike Reviews
Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle Black
While it’s a bit pricey, the Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle is probably the best stationary bike on the market. It’s got virtually everything you’d want, from customizable gearing to combo pedals to adjustable handlebars and seating.
In order to compete with other modern bikes, it’s even got Bluetooth integration and phone and tablet features. If you want a fantastically smooth, durable ride, the Keiser is a great choice.
- Bundle Includes: Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle, Media Tray, Stretch Pads, and Polar Heart Rate Monitor!
- Industry’s First V-Shape Frame: Enables M3i to mimic different road-bike frames by allowing seat and handlebars to be raised in conjunction to accommodate riders of all sizes, from 4’10”–7’ tall
- Bluetooth-enabled Interactive Cycling: Riders can connect to the Keiser M Series app and train with real-time graphs for power and heart rate, cadence range dials, FTP zones and more for a limitless array of workouts
- Durability and Beauty: Simple, elegant design makes the M3i extremely durable, virtually maintenance-free, and a stunning showpiece for your home or gym
- Made in the USA: The M3i is the ONLY indoor bike built in the U.S., ensuring the highest quality control standards
Easy to use that’s not all it offers, however. You won’t disturb anyone else in your house while you use this Keiser, either, since it’s virtually silent. The handlebars have multiple use positions, so you can emulate your favorite riding style.
Finally, it’s got adjustable wheels on the stand and a water bottle holder so you can stay hydrated while you exercise.
There are a few small downsides to this Keiser, but they’re not big. First off, the LCD screen is pretty basic. It shows you everything you need to know, including your heart rate, time, gear, and total trip distance.
Still, it’s not the kind of display you’d expect from a pricey bike in this day and age. Luckily, you can hook it up to your phone, tablet, or computer via Bluetooth for a fancier display via a companion app.
The other downside is that it’s fairly expensive. Online prices vary, of course, but there’s a decent chance that this bike simply isn’t within your budget. If you’re a cycling enthusiast, however, it’s very much worth the cost.
The combo pedals, gearing, and multiple handlebar positions mean that it’s far closer to riding a performance road bike than any other stationary bike we’ve seen.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
The Sunny Health and Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a pretty unique product in this decade. It’s a mechanical affordable bike, with no electric components whatsoever. This means that it’s got no timer, no heart monitor, and no lap counter.
- Sturdy Flywheel: The 40-pound chrome flywheel is designed to maintain momentum smoothly as you cycle on the cardio machine. Heavy flywheels support speed, stability, and consistency across your workout.
- Resistance: Increase resistance or come to a complete stop in a flash with the friction resistance knob. Use the resistance knob to increase and decrease resistance applied to the flywheel.
- Adjustable Handlebars: Ergonomic handlebars are designed to accommodate multiple riding styles while cycling on this bike for home use. Easily adjust the 2-way multi-grip handlebars, based on your height.
- Fitting & Adjustments: Tailor your riding experience to your individual height. Use the four-way adjustable seat that can be fitted to your individual leg length.
- Levelers: Prevent wobbling and jerks while riding when you adjust the base levelers that will keep the bike stable on uneven surfaces.
On the other hand, it’s got a very nice 40-pound flywheel, incredibly durable construction, and rides smoothly and quietly.
Does your bike really need a computer?
While you might find the lack of electronics on this Sunny a bit offputting at first, it’s not a big deal for most home users. You’ve got access to a plethora of timers throughout the house as well as your phone, TV, and stereo system.
With all of the electronics you already have, you’ll hardly miss the LCD panel on other bikes. Still, it’s a bit inconvenient to have to manually count calories and twist a physical knob to adjust the resistance on the flywheel.
This Sunny features a good bike seat that’s easily switched out as well as adjustable, multi-grip handlebars. The quality flywheel and low price make it the bike of choice for many small gyms around the country.
If you’re not too interested in programmable modes, trip counters, or heart monitors, it might make a great addition to your house, too.
Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike
The Sole Fitness SB700 exercise bike is an astoundingly solid choice for cycling enthusiasts who want a modern LCD display. It’s got all of the features you’d expect from a top stationary bicycle, including an adjustable seat, adjustable handlebars, pedal straps, and more.
- Features. Weight Capacity: 300lbs.. Platform: Upright/Cycle.
- Adjustable seat & handlebars: Vertical/Horizontal. Felt pad brake resistance. Made in Taiwan.
- Model: SB700.
More importantly, however, it’s got a hefty 48-pound flywheel complete with brake pads for smooth operation.
Unlike other electronic-equipped indoor cycling bikes, this Sole Fitness has a manual resistance knob. This is both a plus and a minus. On one hand, it means you don’t have to plug it into power for functionality. Even without batteries in the LCD computer, you’ll be able to make full use of this bike.
On the other hand, however, it doesn’t have push-button resistance controls or programmable modes. If you want to simulate going up and down hills, you’ll need to turn a knob a few times by hand.
Incredible Display Still, the snazzy LCD display alone is enough to make you fall in love with this bike. It displays Kcal burned, your current RPM, how fast you’re traveling, and how far you’ve gone in a high-tech format that’ll make you feel like you’re in the future.
Plus, the frame’s construction and visible flywheel tie into this futuristic aesthetic. This is definitely one of the best-looking stationary bikes on the market.
It’s worth noting that while the LCD and looks are pretty neat, this is an astoundingly high-performance stationary bicycle. If you’re a serious cyclist, it’s tough to beat the heavy flywheel and excellent warranties that this model offers.
You’ll want to look up the details for yourself, but we’re pretty impressed with the warranty coverage that this Sole comes with for free. If you want a sturdy bike that’ll keep up with your intense exercise, this Sole Fitness is a great choice.
Fitleader FS1 Indoor Stationary Exercise Bike
This Fitleader FS1 Stationary Exercise Bike uses magnetic resistance to deliver nearly silent performance. While it’s not the best choice for serious cycling enthusiasts, the quiet operation and fully-featured LCD panel make it perfect for people who just need a little bit of cardio.
- Smooth magnetic resistance: Provide you with variable resistance and offer you a proper, gym-style exercise bike
- Comfortable performance seat: Full motion adjustable seat support cyclists of all levels and body types.
- Near-silent durable drive: Strong and built-to-last design, gives the rides a quite and fluid ride.
- Flywheel: You supply energy to overcome the resistance, and turn the wheel–the energy comes from the movement of your muscles, and that’s what helps you burn calories.
- Transportation wheels: Enable effortless transportation when you finish your exercise at home
You can relax, throw on your favorite TV shows, and let this bike’s built-in pulse monitors do all of the thinking for you. At the end of your shows, you’ll have burned plenty of calories!
While the pedals and seat that this bike comes with are fairly nice, they’re both easily switched out for your favorite brands. This lets you customize exactly the way the pedals hold your feet or how the seat feels while you ride.
While the flywheel is fairly light (about 14 lbs.), the quiet operation and 8 resistance levels still make for a smooth, comfortable bike ride while you exercise.
Finally, the LCD tracks all of the slats you need, including your pulse, calories burned, and how fast you’re going.
The biggest downside to this Fitleader is the lighter flywheel. Serious cycling enthusiasts are definitely going to notice the difference that this makes.
While you can turn up the resistance, you’ll feel a lot less momentum behind the bike when you pedal. This means that you can’t really build up “speed” Instead, you’re simply working against friction as you work out.
For casual indoor cyclists, this isn’t a huge deal. This bike might feel a bit different than the ones you ride at the gym, but it’s just as effective at getting your heart rate up and burning calories. For serious cyclists, however, there are better options on the market.
Each of the four choices above represents a unique take on the stationary bicycle. But what’s the best indoor cycling bike around? The answer, it depends. If you don’t mind the cost or you’re a serious outdoor cyclist, the Keiser M3i is probably the best choice.
If you’re on a budget and don’t particularly need electronics, the Sunny Pro is a strong contender. If you want a cheap bike for some casual cardio, the Fitleader FS1 is probably the best choice.
Finally, if you want something in between, with a sturdy flywheel and a snazzy LCD display, the Sole SB700 is an excellent choice. By matching your needs and budget to the appropriate bike, you’ll be able to find the best fit for your unique situation.