Flat benches were once universally known as a weight bench. Today with many other types of benches on the market it’s been designated the flat bench.
That being said this classic bench is still one of the most essential pieces of equipment that anybody could have in their gym due to their versatility and usefulness.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the top picks of 2020.
Best Flat Benches
Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0
Length: 47″ Width: 14″ Height: 18″
Made in the good ol’ U.S.A. This flat bench by Rogue Fitness is our top pick for best on the market.
With 2×3 11-gauge steel tubing and rubber foot pads, the engineering choices throughout are really solid. Even the frame is welded and doesn’t require any construction. Making this one of the best heavy-duty flat benches on the market.
The bench isn’t lined with vinyl like a lot of cheap models out there. It utilizes a high-density pad made from Neoprene. This is a good thing as it can hold a serious amount of weight and the cushioning is needed for those who lift heavy.
Able to support at least 1000lbs, there are no reported tests for how much this bench can actually hold. The website boasts that it could hold a tank.
There aren’t any additional features other than the rubber foot pads making it a really low fuss option.
Quite simply this option is miles ahead of everything else around it.
We give it a 5/5.
TITAN Fitness Flat Weight Bench
Length: 52″ Width: 17″ Height: 17″
Another heavy-duty flat bench that can hold up to 1000lbs, this option is another solid choice for anyone wanting a flat bench for lifting some serious weights.
It utilizes extra cushioning as most of these higher-quality options tend to do.
What really sets this bench apart is the extra features. With a handle and wheels to make moving the bench easier, it adds a little something without taking anything away from its abilities to support heavy loads.
The main complaint that people have about this bench is quality control. The parts aren’t as secured or as well-protected as you’d like. However, they are more than solid enough to take some wear and tear during shipping.
Unlike our top pick, this bench isn’t steel throughout as many people have reported picture evidence of rust on some of the internal parts.
If you want the most solid bench possible, spend a little more and get the rogue.
Overall this is a great bench and we’d give it a 4/5.
- GAIN MUSCLE: If you’re into bodybuilding, this weight bench is for you! It can support up to 1000 lbs., so you can perform multiple strength training exercises. With this weight bench, you can target your biceps, triceps, lats, and more. In no time, you’ll be able to achieve the fit and lean physique you’ve been working toward.
- PERFECT FOR FREE WEIGHTS: Free weights are an excellent way to bulk up and this flat bench is the ideal piece of equipment to add to your free weight routine. You’ll be able to perform a wide variety of exercises, including bench presses, incline presses, pullovers, rows, tricep extensions, and curls. Use either barbells or dumbbells as you work out on this bench.
- COMFORTABLE PADDING: While weight lifting, you should be focusing on pushing yourself to reach some massive gains instead of how uncomfortable you feel. Our weight bench is padded with extra cushion, so you can feel good as you exercise. Additionally, the padding features a sleek leather finish for both comfort and style.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: At Titan Fitness, we don’t skimp when it comes to our products. All our products are made from high-quality material that is built to last, and this competition bench is no exception. It has a rigid base that’s made from steel, so it’s durable and long-lasting. It also has wheels and a handle for quick workout changes.
- DIMENSIONS: This weight bench is great for home gyms and personal gyms. It has a convenient overall length of 52”, a width of 17” and a height of 17”. The seat’s width is 12” and its length is 48”, making it wide enough for most people to comfortably sit on. This bench can support a weight capacity of 1000 lbs.
Amazon Basics Weight Bench
- Flat weight bench enhances any home gym; ideal for both beginning and advanced levels
- Accommodates a wide range of fitness routines for a full-body workout in a small amount of space
- Made of rugged high-quality materials, including a durable steel tube frame and a smooth PVC top surface
- Assembles quickly and easily; weighs 24 pounds; upside-down T-shaped legs/feet for reliable stability
- Measures 41 x 11 (bench surface width) / 19.7 (overall width) x 17.9 inches (LxWxH); backed by an AmazonBasics one-year limited warranty
The Amazon Basics Flat Weight Bench is a surprisingly good entry-level bench for those who aren’t yet lifting insanely heavy weights.
With a one year guarantee and at a budget price you’ll find it hard to find something of similar quality for less.
All in all, it offers excellent value for money and it gets a 3/5 for us.
Marcy Deluxe Flat Bench
- Thick High-density Foam – The Marcy Deluxe Flat Bench sports an oversized bench seat with a 2.5” seat pad. It features high-density foam padding with a double-stitched vinyl cover for comfort and functionality.
- Durable Construction – This ergonomic weight bench has a large diameter steel tubing frame with a powder-coated finish. The bench exemplifies sturdiness and durability.
- Low-profile Design– This bench has a low-profile design. It consumes minimal space in order to grant more room for your other equipment. Aesthetically, it can be placed anywhere at home, whether in a bedroom or the garage.
- Max Capacity of 600 Lbs – The maximum user weight capacity of this flat bench is 300 pounds minus the weights. It has dimensions of 44 (L) x 19 (W) x 17 (H) inches, meaning that it can be used for a variety of workouts.
- Versatile Bench – Suitable for various training routines, this multipurpose bench can be used for home fitness routines such as strength training exercises, free weights, and crunches.
This option from Marcy is a great option for those in the more intermediate range.
With a max capacity of 600lbs total, it’s going to allow you to lift a decent amount of weight without any problems. It’s 14-gauge steel tubing, so it’s decent.
It uses a high-density foam material for lining the bench, which is what you want to see and I at least expected that much from a brand like Marcy.
The main downside is that it doesn’t have a rubber base or ‘grips for the feet’. This is fine for some people, but if you don’t have gym flooring that grips then it’s going to skid. It also requires more assembly than our two top picks.
Those things said, if you don’t need gripped feet and don’t mind a bit of extra assembly it’s our top intermediate pick. We give it a 3.5/5.
Flat Bench vs FID Bench vs Adjustable Benches
The main differences between these benches are as follows:
Flat Bench – Completely flat and not adjustable at all.
FID Bench – It stands for Flat, Incline, Decline and must have all three adjustment mediums.
Adjustable Bench – Only needs to be adjustable. Not all adjustable benches are FID benches, but all FID benches are adjustable.
When Are Flat Benches The Best Choice?
Obviously having an adjustable bench can be useful, but they have some serious drawbacks.
First of all, they are much bigger on account of their design.
Second they aren’t able to hold as much weight as a simple solid flat bench.
For this reason flat benches are the best choice if you have limited space or if you are lifting heavy. (Put it this way, you wouldn’t see powerlifters performing bench press on an adjustable bench.)
In an ideal world every gym would have a flat bench AND an adjustable bench.
Buyers Guide: Important Feature Considerations
What should you look for when buying a flat bench online? Check out our simple buyer’s guide.
Because a flat bench is fairly one-dimensional in what it does you might expect features to not be a big deal. Well, you’re half right.
Firstly a flat bench with LOTS of features can be a sign of the manufacturer over-compensating to make marketing easier. So avoid benches with too many features.
However there can be useful features, such as adjustable bench feet, seats, and more. So conversely a few features can actually be a good thing!
One of the most important factors when it comes to a flat bench is the load capacity, also known as the weight capacity.
If you’re a 200lb man and can lift 200lbs then you’re adding a max load to that bench of 400lbs.
So when shopping for your flat bench make sure it can handle a lot of weight.
Materials are in a sense a feature, and they also directly affect the load capacity.
In almost all cases you want to make sure that benches are using the highest quality steel possible.
Look for benches that specify steel tubing and look for bigger steel gauges as well.
The Final Rep:
Flat benches offer more stability and weight capacity than other types of benches.
Therefore in our opinion having a flat bench in your gym isn’t a luxury, it’s a must-have.
Hopefully, our guide has given you all the information you need to make an informed decision.