Are you looking to add an adjustable weight lifting bench to your gym? They come in a variety of options, with different angles and additional features. Finding an adjustable bench is a matter of doing a bit of research so you can find the one for you.
We’ll be reviewing our top 3 picks for you, and in the buyers guide we’ll show you the things you most need to look out for. In the conclusion we’ll give you our top recommendation. So let’s get started.
Top 3 Adjustable Weight Lifting Benches
Fitness Reality 2000 Super Max XL
The Super Max XL by Fitness Reality is a dark horse in the bench world that doesn’t get enough credit.
This is our top pick out of this list of best adjustable benches.
Why? Because it’s so adjustable.
The word adjustable is synonymous with flexible, and in a sense that is exactly what you get with this bench.
It has 7 adjustable levels for the backrest ranging from -15 degrees to +85 degree angles.
A detachable leg lockdown which is ideal as many benches don’t offer the ability to easily attach and detach these kinds of attachments.
Unlike so many other benches on this list, it has an adjustable bench seat that can be used for sit-ups, decline bench press, and other exercises. The 3 angles it offers are 0 degrees, 8 degrees, and 15 degrees.
If this is already seeming like a bench that offers the user choice in configuration, well there’s more… During assembly, you can choose between two different backrest supports for your own preference.
Some people prefer wider support and some a narrower support and this gives you both options.
Lastly, it folds for easy storage which is another plus for those who want more choice.
It is possibly the best adjustable weight bench for taller people as well, as it supports a user height of up to 6’4.
As for its weight capacity, it offers a maximum weight load of 850lbs which is the highest rated on this list…
All of these great features aside, the materials aren’t the highest quality. Not only this, but it just doesn’t look or feel as sturdy which is a direct consequence of this…
- 850 lbs. Weight capacity. 2" x 3" steel frame construction. Independent backrest and seat angle adjustments. User height up to 6'4". 18. 3” Bench height when in flat position
- Smooth 7 level adjustable backrest from -15 degree to +85 degree angles. Detachable leg lock-down with 4 foam rollers (4 inch diameter) to support sit ups and decline bench presses
- Patent pending seat design eliminates the gap between the backrest and seat at all angles and at any position. The bench seat has 3 angle adjustments (0 degree, 8 degree and 15 degree degrees)
- 2" thick foam seat and backrest keep you comfortable throughout your workout sessions. 37" extended backrest support. 2 backrest width options available during Assembly
- Over 20 workout exercises including bench presses, should presses, dumbbell curls, sit-ups/crunches, dips and more. Can be folded for storage. Folded dimensions: 53. 5" L x 24" w x 10. 8" H
Bowflex 5.1s SelectTech Adjustable Bench
This bench, however, is the one that gets the nod as having the best quality materials, one thing that people consistently say about this bench is that it’s extremely sturdy and feels heavy-duty in every way.
The Bowflex 5.1s Bench comes available with 6 different adjustment angles. 30°, 45°, 60° 90°, flat, and decline (-20°) as stated on the manufacturer’s site.
Bowflex is well known for creating quality equipment, and this is created with heavy-duty steel. It’s slightly wider as well which allows it to hold more weight.
The dimensions of the bench are 61.3 x 28.1 x 49.5 inches. As a fully folding bench for easy storage, the dimensions are 23.9 x 28.1 x 52.3 inches.
It’s max user weight is stated at 480lbs and is advertised with a total load capacity of 600 pounds. Even the spring-loaded pull pin mechanism for raising and lowering the bench is built to offer more durability under pressure.
The feet of the bench itself is adjustable which is great for those who have uneven or bumpy flooring. This is a great feature to have and is part of why it’s a cut above many of the options out there.
At the quality it offers and the reputation of the brand, it’s not the best for those on a budget, so if you’re looking for a cheap option this bench isn’t it.
- The Bowflex 5.1S Stowable Bench is our top of the line weight bench
- 6 different adjustment angles for total versatility: 30°, 45°, 60° 90°, flat and decline (-20°)
- Folds up and wheels away for easy storage
- Comes standard with a removable leg hold down brace for added decline position support
- Built strong to last long with heavy duty commercial quality steel
Marcy Utility Workout Bench SB-670
The SB-670 is one of the most popular adjustable benches on the market and is our top pick for beginners.
A steel frame, high-density foam for comfortable padding. It has a total of six positions for easy adjustment.
Adjustment is easy with a simple hook hinge for slotting in and out.
At 52 x 25 x 46.5 inches it’s an average-sized bench, this also contributes to why it isn’t ideal for handling a lot of weight… With a total weight capacity of 300lbs, it’s not ideal for advanced lifters or those who are heavier themselves and lift a lot of weight.
Compared to the other two benches on this list, the SB-670 is relatively inexpensive and as such it’s the best for those on a budget who need something a little cheaper.
- GREAT FOR A FULL-BODY WORKOUT – The adjustable utility bench from Marcy is ideal for working out and building up the muscles in your chest, shoulders, back, abs, and more. It’s a great unit for a full-body workout, whether you’re at home or at the gym.
- DELUXE-BOXED UPHOLSTERY -This utility bench is made from premium-quality materials. It has a powder-coated steel frame with high-density foam in black and white upholstery. This keeps your body secured and supported during light or intense workouts alike
- ADJUSTABLE SIX-POSITION BACK PAD – The back pad is highly adjustable and can be set to different angles to help perform chest exercises such as incline, military, decline, and flat presses. The tilting seat can be adjusted to 3 positions to fit any user.
- ADAPTABLE TO FIT MOST MACHINES – Not only is this equipment highly adjustable, it’s adaptable as well! Attach it to other squat racks, half cages, and Smith machines and get the most out of your workout. The assembled dimensions measures 52 x 25 x 46.5
Buyers Guide: Important Feature Considerations
Adjustable doesn’t just mean being able to use a bench in incline or decline positions. It means how flexible it is across the board, how much freedom you have in terms of setting it up, and how much you can adapt it to your own needs.
Does it offer the coveted FID (Flat, Incline, Decline) option? Is there just one angle available for each option? It’s important to find out what levels are available so you know how adjustable the bench actually is.
If you weigh 200lbs and lift 300lbs on a bench press lift then you will need to have a weight load capacity of at least 500lbs. This is the most important thing when buying a bench as it’s a matter of safety.
It’s important to pay attention to the materials so that you can find out how likely the bench will be to hold up over time. If you buy cheap, you’ll buy twice and so you should keep this in mind. Is the frame made of steel? Is the cover leather? The highest-quality ones usually are.
The Final Rep:
Adjustable weight benches are one of the most important equipment purchases you’ll make so it’s vital to make the right decision. Hopefully, our guide has given you the information you need to buy the best adjustable weight lifting bench for you. If you want our top pick then we’d recommend the Super Max XL by Fitness Reality for ultimate adjustability.